- As a checklist to be sure you have everything. This is one of those great simple secrets, when you have a complete set of forms you can simply crosscheck the list to see if you need to get a form completed.”Hey, I’m going to put sunscreen on the child” Do I need permission to do that? Yep, there’s a form. This way you know you are covered.
- As a communication tool with parents. When parents complete your required forms, it will remind them to tell you everything you need to know, and allow you to communicate your expectations. Often things simply “slip their mind” but completing the paper work may remind them of important things you need to know about their child. For example, the “Authorization to Administer Medication” form may remind parents to let you know Johnny is allergic to a certain medication.
- As a double-check that your staff is doing their job. As a Director, you should be receiving copies of all forms completed in your child care center. This will help you keep an eye on your staff. If you know a child had an accident but you never see the form, you know either the staff was not paying attention or decided not to do their paperwork job. This is a great way to see who is really sharp and who is just getting by.
- As a way to improve your level of professionalism in front of new customers. Your daycare looks extremely professional when you have all the forms you could ever need ready for the parents when they join you or as activities require. The simple fact you have all the forms for starters show you are a dedicated professional, then getting them to new parents from the start shows that you know what you are doing and not just winging it.
- As a way to make inspections go smoother. Daycare licensing inspections can be a pain, but when you have complete forms for every student, it simplifies the task. When an inspector checks a child’s file and finds all the needed forms completed and sees you have a complete list of other forms too, she or he will likely be impressed with your thoroughness. The fewer problems she finds, the less likely she is to dig deeper, and the sooner she will be on her way.
Remember, it’s a good idea to get all forms updated or new forms completed on an annual basis.
If you don’t already have a complete set of daycare forms, check them out here.